The MCE Complement represents the convergeance of technologies into one data storage and optical drive solution: a 2 TB hard drive for backups and data storage located inside an easy-to-access SATA drive bay, a slot-loading optical drive powerhouse that reads AND records to all types of Blu-ray, DVD, and CD media as well as plays commercial Blu-ray movies directly on your Mac with the included Mac Blu-ray Player software, a USB 3.0 hub and an SD card reader... all in one portable, lightweight device that takes up little desk space and operates from one USB 3.0 port with no external power required. Measuring in at just 5.5 x 6 x 1.25 inches, never before has such a sleek, portable, and lightweight device been capable of so much.
As Apple removed optical drives and higher capacity hard disks from their Macs in the quest for thin, lightweight machines, they also removed vital capabilities users still need, and want, to this day: the ability to play, burn, and rip CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs and the ability to backup and store vast amounts of information, videos, photos, music, etc. rapidly, safely, and economically. The MCE Complement can burn your discs, backup your computer, install software, and even play Blu-ray movies and DVDs... i.e. it does just what it's name says: It "Complements" your Mac, and it was designed with the goal of being the only storage device you may ever need. But these capabilities are just the beginning. Peer inside and see that the MCE Complement is truly an intelligent storage and optical drive system for your Mac.
2 TB of storage... and that's only the start.
The MCE Complement features a 2 TB 2.5" SATA hard drive hidden neatly on its underside, capable of storing a huge amount of information as well as maintaining your backups... Time Machine or otherwise. But, instead of being permanently encased inside a sealed enclosure like all other USB hard drives out there, the Complement's 2 TB SATA hard drive operates inside an easy to access compartment. You see, the Complement is an open storage system. You're no longer left having to buy an entirely new USB drive should that one fill up or have the need to save data onto a different drive. Just easily remove the one inside and replace it with a bare 2.5" SATA hard drive or SSD. Bare 2.5" SATA drives are much more economical and available in more options than enclosed USB drives. We even provide you with two silicon sleeves for safely storing your "alternate" 2.5" SATA drives. With the MCE Complement, you don't need to carry along several different devices and cables with you while you're on the go. Just take along the portable and lightweight Complement in its included carrying case and you'll have everything you need with you wherever you go!
Why USB 3.0 and not Thunderbolt? Great question. USB 3.0 has an upper limit on data throughput of approximately 500MB/sec and the Complement's 2 TB hard drive plus the Blu-ray optical drive utilize about 200MB/sec maximum so they are well within the capabilities of USB 3.0. The cost of Thunderbolt hardware and licensing fees would drive up the price of the Complement by 30 to 50% with absolutely no performance advantage or increase. And this is the main reason we went with the perfectly suitable USB 3.0.
Blu-ray, DVD, CD... the Complement handles it all.
CDs need ripping. Wedding videos, training videos, P90X, professional photos, and software are still being distributed on DVD. (Yes, we said P90X.) Want to author high-definition movies onto Blu-ray disc? With the slot-loading Blu-ray, DVD, and CD compatible Complement, all of those tasks are made easy... and more! Burn data to all recordable media by dragging and dropping in the Finder to the icon of the blank disc you inserted into the Complement, click "Burn" and your data is archived. The Complement reads and burns Blu-ray discs at up to 6X speed, DVDs at up to 8X, and CDs at up to 24X speed. Not only is it compatible with regular 25GB and 50GB Blu-ray recordable and rewritable media but it also works with the new 100GB and 128GB Triple-Layer and Quad-Layer Blu-ray media just recently made available. And don't forget, with the MCE Complement you can watch commercial Blu-ray movies in stunning high-definition on your Mac with the included full, lifetime version of Mac Blu-ray Player software.
The Complement receives... and gives double.
The MCE Complement connects with a single cable to a single USB 3.0 port on your Mac through which all power and data communications are transmitted. But the Complement pays it forward. Now you can forget about having to unplug some devices in order to plug in others because you don't have enough USB ports: Located at the side of the Complement are two USB 3.0 ports and one USB 2.0 data/charging port. We're sure you'll find that connecting devices to the Complement's USB ports is a lot more convenient than searching for ports behind your Mac.
SD Card Reader
The MCE Complement includes an SD Card Reader on the right side just to the rear of its USB ports. Save wear and tear on your Mac's SD Card Reader by using the one in the Complement or use them both simultaneously for downloading photos and transferring data from and to your SD Cards. It can read SD and SDHC cards and includes an activitiy LED to keep you apprised of input/output activity with the SD Card.
Carry along in your Carry-on
With all the capabilities the Complement provides, the fact that its even remotely portable, much less EXTREMELY portable, is unprecedented. At only 5.5" x 6" x 1.25" and weighing in at about 18 ounces, the Complement is as agile moving from computer to computer as it is moving from city to city and country to country. We send it out into the world with its own padded carrying case to make sure it makes its many journeys safe and sound.
- 2 TB Hard Drive for Storage and Backup in an easy-to-access 2.5" SATA Drive Bay
- Slot-Loading Blu-ray, DVD, and CD Reader/Recorder handles ANY optical media out there today including BD XL 100GB and 128GB Media
- Lifetime version of Mac Blu-ray Player Software included for watching commercial Blu-ray movies directly on your Mac in stunning high definition
- USB 3.0 Hub provides two USB 3.0 ports and one USB 2.0 port
- SD Card Reader
- Sleek, Portable, and Lightweight and includes Carrying Case
- 2 TB Hard Drive sets up easily using Apple's Disk Utility program
- Can be set up as a single volume, partitioned, or made part of a RAID array
- Can be configured as a Time Machine backup drive
- Blu-ray, DVD, CD burner compatible with iDVD, DVD Studio Pro, iTunes, iPhoto, and Finder Burning
- Type: External
- Interface: USB 3.0
- Dimensions (L x W x H): 5.5 x 6 x 1.25 inches
- Net Weight: 19 ounces
- Warranty: 2 years
Hard Disk Drive Specifications:
- Capacity: 2 TB (2000 GB)
- Location: Underside of Complement Device in 2.5" SATA Drive Bay
- Internal Interface: SATA-III (6Gbps)
- Burst Transfer Rate: 600MB/s
- Maximum Sustained Transfer Rate: 169MB/s
- Data Buffer: 32MB
- Rotational Speed: 5400RPM
- Latency (Average): 5.6ms
- Read Seek Time (Typical): 12ms
2.5" SATA Drive Bay Specifications:
- 2.5" SATA Drives Supported: Standard 2.5" SATA Hard Disk Drives, Solid State Drives (SSD), or Hybrid Drives, 9.5mm in height or less
- Internal Interface: SATA-III (6Gbps)
- Activity LED
Optical Drive Specifications:
- Media Supported: Blu-ray Disc, DVD, CD
- Loading Method: Slot
- Data Buffer: 5.8MB
- Activity LED
- Eject Button
Optical Drive Write Support:
- Blu-ray Disc (BD): BD-R 25GB / 50GB, BD-RE 25GB / 50GB, BD-R XL (TL/QL) 100GB / 128GB, BD-RE XL (TL) 100GB
- DVD: DVD-R 4.7GB, DVD-RW 4.7GB, DVD+R 4.7GB, DVD+RW 4.7GB, DVD+R DL 8.5GB, DVD-R DL 8.5GB
- CD: CD-R 700MB (Type 80), CD-R 650MB (Type 74), Multi-Speed CD-RW,CD-RW, High Speed CD-RW
Optical Drive Read Support:
- BD-ROM (Single & Dual Layer)
- BD-R / BD-R LTH (Single Layer/Dual Layer)
- BD-RE (Single Layer/Dual Layer)
- BD-R XL (Triple Layer/Quad Layer)
- BD-RE XL (Triple Layer)
- DVD-ROM & DVD-Video (Single & Dual Layer)
- DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R DL
- CD-ROM (Mode 1 and 2), CD-ROM XA
- CD-DA, Video CD, Photo-CD, CD EXTRA
- CD-Text, CD-R, CD-RW
Media Write (max) Read (max) BD-R / BD-R LTH (Single Layer/Dual Layer) 6x (SL) / 4.5x (DL) 6x BD-RE (Single Layer/Dual Layer) 2x (SL) / 2x (DL) 6x BD-R (Triple Layer/Quad Layer) 4x (TL) / 4x (QL) 6x BD-RE (Triple Layer) 2x (TL) 6x BD-ROM N/A 6x DVD-R (Single Layer/Dual Layer) 8x (SL) / 6x (DL) 8x DVD-RW 6x 8x DVD+R (Single Layer/Double Layer) 8x (SL) / 6x (DL) 8x DVD+RW 8x 8x DVD-RAM 5x 8x DVD-ROM N/A 8x CD-R 24x 24x CD-RW 10x 24x CD-ROM N/A 24x
USB 3.0 Hub Specifications:
- USB Ports: Two (2) USB 3.0 Powered Ports + One (1) USB 2.0 Powered Port
- USB 3.0 Port Data Rate: 500MB/s Max
- USB 2.0 Port Data Rate: 48MB/s Max
SD Card Reader Specifications:
- Media Supported: SD Card, SDHC Card, MMC Card, Micro SD Card with SD Card Adapter
- Activity LED
- MCE Complement USB 3.0 Storage and Optical System with 2 TB Hard Drive, Blu-ray, DVD, CD Reader/Recorder, USB 3.0 Hub, and SD Card Reader
- Mac Blu-ray Player Software - Lifetime Version
- User's Guide
- USB 3.0 Cable
- Universal AC Adapter - for those times when you need to plug in additional bus-powered devices to the Complement's USB ports.
- Carrying Case
- MCE Complement Utility Software
Designed for use with All Mac Systems with USB 3.0 Ports: iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, Mac mini, MacBook Air
System Requirements: All Mac Systems with USB 3.0 Ports are fully compatible with the MCE Complement.