MCE Internal 4x DVD-R/RW/RAM
Dual Drive Upgrade for PowerBook G4
The most versatile internal DVD-Recorder for your PowerBook!
So you already own a beautiful PowerBook G4 and you want to burn DVDs on the go? Now with the MCE 4x Internal DVD-R/RW/RAM Dual Drive Upgrade for the PowerBook G4... you can! Fully compatible with Apple's iDVD and other iApps, now you can burn DVDs and CDs anywhere you can take your PowerBook G4 12-inch, 15-inch, and 17-inch.
The MCE 4x DVD-Recordable slot-loading drive is a dual drive and records to both DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW media. In addition to reading and writing to standard DVD-/+R/RW and CD-R/RW media, it reads and writes to 4.7GB and 9.4GB double-sided DVD-RAM media.
Fully compliant with the DVD Forum's standards, the single-sided media is capable of storing a full two-hours of MPEG2 video. MCE's new 4x DVD-Recordable dual drive for the PowerBook G4 offers unprecedented media interchangeability and seven times the capacity of CD-R and CD-RW. The MCE 4x dual drive drive reads industry-standard DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD-R, CD-ROM, CD-R/RW, CD-DA, Photo CD, and Video CD media.
The DVD-RAM recording function of the MCE drive is supported natively by Mac OS X at the desktop level without the need for additional drivers, and is also fully compatible with Dantz Retrospect backup software. Included with the drive is a 9.4GB double-sided DVD-RAM disc providing nearly 10GB of removable data storage and backup space immediately. The random-access, drag-and-drop DVD-RAM storage media provides in excess of 100,000 write/rewrite cycles and data life in excess of 30 years.
You may have the MCE 4x DVD-R/RW/RAM Dual Drive upgrade professionally installed into your PowerBook G4 by MCE Technologies or one of our worldwide Authorized Upgrade Centers.
- 4x DVD-R recorder
- 2x DVD-RAM recorder
- 2.4x DVD+R, DVD+RW recorder
- 2x DVD-RW recorder
- Convenient slot-loading mechanism
- Cache Buffer
- Buffer underrun protection
- Compatible with iDVD, DVD Studio Pro, iTunes, Disc Burner and Apple DVD Player
In addition, MCE is now offering 4x DVD dual drive and hard drive bundle specials so that if your original hard drive has become too small for your needs or too noisy you can have that replaced while we or one of our Authorized Upgrade Centers are upgrading your computer. MCE will even transfer your data for free!
Click here for a list of MCE Authorized Upgrade Centers in your area. These upgrade centers will generally charge a service fee, but you will be without your PowerBook for a much shorter time as they can generally perform the upgrade for you while you wait. Call them for details. If you prefer to send your PowerBook G4 to the MCE service center, turnaround time is usually 1-2 business days. Please call us at 800-500-0622 or 949-458-0800 in order to arrange the upgrade. Or you may order it on this site and then send your PowerBook to us at our address shown below. Be sure to reference your order number as shown. If you do not have your original box, or suitable packaging, FedEx has a free box kit designed especially for shipping laptops which you can find at nearly any staffed FedEx location. Find the location nearest you by going to www.fedex.com or by calling 800-GO-FEDEX. Return freight is not included in the price of the drive and will be determined at the time the order is placed. The listed price of each drive is based on the exchange of the PowerBook's current internal optical drive (that must be in good working condition) and it will not be returned to you. If you do not wish to exchange your original internal optical drive and request that we return it, or the drive is not in good working condition, then the price for the upgrade drive will be an additional $50.
The procedure to follow if you prefer MCE to perform the installation:
- Select from the options above and place your order with us here online, or by calling 800-500-0622. International customers, please call 949-458-0800.
- As with any major upgrade to your computer, it is wise to back up any important data from your computer's internal hard drive before having the upgrade performed on the computer.
- If applicable, disable any password protection that is enabled on your computer.
- If you are running Mac OS X, write down the username and password if necessary for login and include this in the package you send.
- Pack up your computer. Include the battery installed in the computer, but not the AC adapter. Also include username and password info if necessary for logging in to the computer. Suitable packaging consists of either the computer's original box and padding or a comparably protective package. Do not send the computer in any of the slim boxes that many of the major shippers offer, as these do not provide sufficient protection for your laptop. If you no longer have the original box, FedEx offers a free laptop-shipping package, specifically designed for shipping laptop computers, at any of their staffed locations.
- Send the computer to the address below. You may send the unit to MCE by the courier of your choice. We do recommend using a courier service with which you can insure and track the progress of the shipment.
30 Hughes, Suite 203
Irvine, CA 92618
attn: (your order number)
MCE telephone: (949) 458-0800
||MCE Internal SuperDrive Upgrade for PowerBook G4
|DVD Speeds (maximum)
|4x DVD-R, 2.4x DVD+R, 2.4x DVD+RW, 2x DVD-RAM, 2x DVD-RW, 12x DVD-ROM
|CD Speeds (maximum)
Write, Re-write, Read
|16x CD-R, 8x CD-RW, 24x CD-ROM
||4.7GB DVD-R/RW, 4.7GB DVD+R/RW, 4.7GB DVD-RAM, 9.4GB DVD-RAM, 650MB CD-R/RW, 700MB CD-R/RW
||DVD-ROM, DVD-R (General Use), DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-RAM, DVD-Video, CD-ROM (Mode 1, Mode 2 Form 1), CD-ROM XA (Mode 2 Form 2), CD-DA, CD-Extra, CD-Text, Phot CD (Single and Multi-session), Video CD
||5.1 x 5.0 x 0.5 in (129 x 128 x 12.7 mm)
||PowerBook G4 (12-inch, 15-inch and 17-inch); Mac OS X (10.2.x or 10.3.2 and later); 256MB or greater recommended
- PBG4DVDR4 (For 15-inch PowerBook G4, 400 - 667MHz with CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive currently)
- PBG4DVDR4-A (For any PowerBook G4, 550MHz or faster with CD-RW, Combo Drive or SuperDrive currently)